In October 2002 a Real Choice Systems Change grant was awarded to the Connecticut Department of Social Services, and the A.J. Pappanikou Center was selected to administer the grant. The grant was designed to improve the capacity of Connecticut's communities to meet the needs of individuals with disabilities and their families by supporting the development of model communities that fully demonstrate accessible, appropriate, and quality community living opportunities for people with disabilities.
- The Center collaborated with two other Systems Change grants: the Nursing Home Transition grant and the Connect-to-Work Project.
- An assessment of the level of inclusion was conducted in 169 towns in CT.
- Technical and financial assistance was provided to further build capacity in three communities to become models of support for opportunities and choices for people with disabilities across the life span.
- Forums on community inclusion were held in six different areas of the state.
- Various reports and publications were completed and disseminated.
- Fact sheets on accessibility, respectful language, transportation, and media portrayal were completed and disseminated.
Community Transformation: A Compendium of Ideas on Community Inclusion for People with Disabilities, October 2006
Using Local Media to Promote Community Inclusion, October 2006
Fact Sheet on Accessibility, October 2006
Fact Sheet on Respectful Language, October 2006
Fact Sheet on Transportation, October 2006
Fact Sheet on Media Portrayal, October 2006
Year Three - First Quarter Report, December 2004
Model Communities Forum Report, May 2004
Connecticut Real Choice Consumer Survey, September 2005
Beyond Services To Clients: Are We Training Staff to Support Self-determination and Consumer Decision Making? June 2004
Accessibility of Public and Private Places in Connecticut, November 2005
Consumer and Family Perspectives on Services Provided by Connecticut's State Agencies, December 2005
Employment of People with Disabilities in Connecticut, January 2006
Community Participation of People with Disabilities in Connecticut, March 2006
First Central Connecticut Regional Forum on Community Inclusion (Wethersfield)
First Eastern Connecticut Regional Forum on Community Inclusion (Groton)
First Southwestern Connecticut Regional Forum on Community Inclusion (Ridgefield)
Second Southwestern Connecticut Regional Forum on Community Inclusion (Darien)
Second Southeastern Connecticut Regional Forum on Community Inclusion (Griswold)
Third Southwestern Connecticut Regional Forum on Community Inclusion (Westport)