The UConn UCEDD is collaborating with the Connecticut Department of Developmental Services and the Hezekiah Beardsley Connecticut Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics to offer a webinar series on Autism Spectrum Disorder. This webinar series is designed to connect state-level experts in various aspects of Autism Spectrum Disorder with Connecticut pediatricians to provide increased knowledge regarding the screening, diagnosis, and treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorder and how this impacts their role with children and families.
Over the course of the next year, six webinars will be offered on the following topics:
- Autism as a Spectrum: Introduction to the Webinar Series
- Medication Management
- Evidenced-based Treatments
- Making the Transition from Pediatric to Adult Healthcare
These webinars will be recorded and posted on the Connecticut Chapter’s website. CMEs will be offered for pediatricians.
The UConn UCEDD received a grant from the Connecticut Department of Developmental Services to develop and pilot training curricula for providers focused on treating Autism Spectrum Disorder. Staff at the UConn UCEDD have developed training materials for pediatricians based on a needs assessment survey that was sent to pediatricians. As a result of this needs assessment, a decision was made to offer the trainings as webinars that will be permanently available.
In addition to the training materials that were developed, materials that pediatricians could share with parents were also developed:
Here are other useful resources for parents and providers by topic area.
Diagnosis and Screening
- Connecticut Guidelines for a Clinical Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Autism Case Training
- Autism Spectrum Disorders: Guide to Evidence-based Interventions
- Autism Resources for Families
- National Professional Development Center on Autism Spectrum Disorder