Since 2013, the UCEDD has been providing community training and technical assistance to Discover Learn Work (DLW) Career Training Services, a service of Ability Beyond, Inc., one of our community partner organizations. DLW provides inclusive, community-based transition and career training services to adolescents and young adults with autism spectrum differences, autistic-like presentations, mental health/behavioral challenges, and other developmental disabilities.
The Values Underlying the DLW Project:
- Employment First because employment leads to other valued life outcomes;
- ALL can work (and it is always preferable to be paid with benefits) given customized employment and support;
- Services to the unique individuals served must be grounded in trauma-informed and relationship-based positive behavior supports as well as an understanding of the movement, anxiety, communication, and sensory brain differences in autism;
- The presumption of competence with recognition of neurodiversity;
- The celebration of diversity and recognition that one size does not fit all; and
- Individualized, person-centered career planning building on each participant’s strengths, interests, preferences, and skills.