Leadership and Community Support
Support for People First of CT
Since 2018, the UCEDD has provided support to People First of CT, the state’s premier self-advocacy group. To date, there is a core group of leaders with intellectual/developmental disabilities involved in such projects as advocating for the closure of Southbury Training School; educating policy-makers and communities about fully inclusive, self-determined lives; advocating for necessary funding for state services to support community inclusion; and empowering others with intellectual and developmental disabilities to advocate for themselves.
Click here to access their website: Home (peoplefirstofct.org)
- Development of a job specification and hiring of a new facilitator.
- Establishment of meeting procedures with the Executive Board.
- Overseeing an election of Executive Board members including videotaped candidate speeches.
- Initial development of a website.
- Arranging trainings and guest speakers.
- Establishment of Friday Party Nights during the pandemic.
- Encouraging involvement of People First members in statewide advocacy efforts and as speakers.
- Production of videos, Things to Know about COVID 19 and They Say We Have Rights People First Videos (peoplefirstofct.org)
- Development of accessible organizational documents (e.g., with large print and visuals).