Early Childhood Intervention
Connecticut Community College Resource Library
The UConn Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (UCEDD) is part of a five year grant with the Office of Special Education (OSEP) and the Connecticut Community Colleges. The purpose of this grant is to improve the quality of early childhood education (ECE) associate degree programs in the 12 state community colleges by redesigning the ECE curricula to better prepare the community college ECE student to work with young children with disabilities and/or culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and their families.
This library supports faculty by providing a variety of resources that focus on the inclusion of young children with disabilities and/or culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and their families, best practice and the importance of high quality inclusive early care and education for all children and families.
Each course includes the following sections:
- A statement informing students about the subject matter as well as span and scope of a course.
Master Course Outline with a Sample Syllabus
- A document that includes the course description, course objectives, student outcomes, key experiences, resources and sample syllabus for each specific course.
- The master course outlines were created in alignment with the following professional standards:
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Professional Standards and Competencies for Early Childhood Educators (Power to the Profession)
- Division of Early Childhood of the Council for Exceptional Children (DEC) Recommended Practices
- Initial Practice-Based Professional Preparation Standards Early Interventionists/Early Childhood Special Educators (EI/ECSE)
- Connecticut Core Knowledge and Competences
- A variety of resources which are foundational to every ECE course and essential for curriculum development. Instructors may choose to distribute these resources in some classes and not in others. Resources include position statements, policy statements, Connecticut Early Learning and Development Standards Resources, documents, and websites. Please view our Foundation Resource list.
Course Specific Resources
- A library of resources which include articles, children’s literature, Connecticut Early Learning and Development Standards Resources, documents, film, learning modules, podcasts, webinars, webpages and websites.